
When I was in the final year of high school a commercial for a now defunct nightclub named Egypt played continually on my favorite local station (This station now no longer exists as well). The commercial amused me and reminded me of things that fascinated me as a kid. I would devour books from my local library on dinosaurs, weird and strange occurrences, and ancient Egypt.
As a child I watched all that PBS had to offer and one of my favorite programs that I loved to watch whenever it got aired was Pyramid by David Macaulay. This show told the history of ancient Egypt and the Sphinx through he use of live footage and cartons. I loved this show and would watch quietly soaking in every bit of it.
About two weeks ago I sat down to relax and flipped on one of my local PBS digital stations. The big one here has three stations and you can usually find somthing of interest. That night there was not one, but two... Two!... different shows on the Pyramids and the Sphinx. For two hours I thoroughly enjoyed myself. There was a lot of interesting information as well as contention about just how old the Sphinx is.
One of the shows was a NOVA special. If you are a PBS lover like myself you know what a cruel mistress NOVA can be. They build you up and build you up only to end every single episode, no matter the topic covered, by saying "We may never know". NOVA kills me and yet I still watch. Go figure.
The other day as my girls were running around yelling yet another show about the Sphinx came on cable. No, I don't have cable. I have to bum cable moments when visiting the homes of others. This special too delved into just how old the Sphinx may be. How old is it you ask? Don't ask me. Ask Wiki. Wiki gets everything right. Well, assuming that Palin doesn't decide to educate us on the Sphinx. Until then, however, I'm betting the Wiki info should do the job. Didn't you read the part where I said my girls were running around yelling? It wasn't my house or my cable so I turned my head sadly watching over my shoulder as I ushered the girls out the door. Oh well. It's not like it was NOVA.
I believe they claim that they found water level marks along the base. that would date it WAY older than conventional wisdom dictates.
ReplyDeleteAnd after 9 Fucking months, don't you think it's time for another Friday Flash 55?
Please?....:P:P
And it's been about 9 months since I said...
ReplyDeleteYAHTZEE on your blog.!!
paul revere shined his lantern from the nose but knocked it off in his haste to get away...its the truth palin told me...grins.
ReplyDeleteAccording to Palin, "God made the Sphinx, so it's as old as He says it is. And because the sand, you know, of The Egypt, so... and God Bless America!!!!"
ReplyDeleteSee? I live in Alaska and I can't escape the international horror she's become.
G-Man -I heard just that as well. Also, after nine fucking months t is time for another 55.
ReplyDeleteBrian -Love it!
Titanium -OMG ... I think I could "hear" her saying that. It is an international horror show. Let's hope she doesn't have us horrified all the way to her inauguration.